BT

Vent your spleen about anything that takes your fancy here! Remember to keep it vulgarity-free though!

Moderator: scarface

mandy
Veteran

BT

Post by mandy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:15 pm

Their fault reporting service is pants.

last week I was having trouble with my internet connection. There was an intermittent crackling on the line and it was causing the internet to disconnect and when it did connect teh speeds were ridiculously low. The crackling, when present coiuld clearly be heard during voice calls.

I used teh BT engineers 175 test number to test teh line but it said no fault present.

So I reported it online. They give you a ridiculously low 150 characters to put down what the problem is so all i could say as that there was a crackling.

A day later i got a phone call saying there was no problem witht eh line and I should contact my ISP. Unfortunately Mrs Mandy took the call because i would have given thema round of expletives for such a ridiculous statement.

My isp has nothjing to do with my phone line.

Tonight the problem started again so I rang 151. After negotiating a ridiculous amount of menu's I finally got through to a person who told me that they ahd tested the line last week and there was nothing wrong. This despite the fact the crackling made it almost impossible for us to understand each other.

So I lost it. I worked for five years on phone lines and telephone exchanges and I know a crap line when I hear one so I demanded that they send an engineer. They played their ace card ...

"If teh problem is on your equipment you will be billed for teh engineers time"

I assume that this is meant to either put you off reporting faults or as a nice moneyspinner for BT. It didn't put me off. I had disconnected ALL equipment from their lines and tested it with just one phone plugged in and teh crackling was still there. To discount a fault on that phone I then used a DSTS2 test telephone from work to listen to teh lines and teh crackling was still there.

If BT think they are going to send me a bill for an engineer they will have a fight on their hands.

But what if they were dealing with someone who didn't know anything about phone lines?

What is to stop them fixing the fault with their equipment and then telling the person who reported it that the fault was with the stuff in teh house and sending them a ruddy great bill?

The system is wide open to abuse. It would never have happened before privatisation. :x

leeroybrownforshort
Obsessed!

Post by leeroybrownforshort » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:10 pm

Unfortunately Mandy, unless you live in Hull (home of Kingston Communications) you have no option but to stick with BT!

Crap, I know, but what can you do?

scousewendy
Veteran

Post by scousewendy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:24 pm

I have just changed my phone people. I now rent my line from Phones 4 u. and got a package from them for free phonecalls after 6pm, till 8 am. also free all weekends ,and that is for

leeroybrownforshort
Obsessed!

Post by leeroybrownforshort » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:26 pm

[quote="scousewendy"]I have just changed my phone people. I now rent my line from Phones 4 u. and got a package from them for free phonecalls after 6pm, till 8 am. also free all weekends ,and that is for

mandy
Veteran

Post by mandy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:53 pm

They came out on wednesday and changed the drop wire (the bit from the pole to the house)

have they cured teh fault?

No they havn't

Now I have to go through the menu system all over again :x

mandy
Veteran

Post by mandy » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:46 pm

I went through it again and they found corrosion on one of the terminal boxes in teh street. The fault returned.

today they came round again (4th time I've reported the fault). I don't know what they have done but its a case of wait and see if they have fixed it.

It would never have got this far with teh old GPO. A proper technician would have put a psophometer on the line and measured the line noise then proper cable technicians would have gone out and found the fault without any extra intervention from me.

Unfortuantely they layed all these people off when they became a profit based company :?

JULES
Regular

BT

Post by JULES » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:37 pm

There all crap nowadays, there is no customer service, and the service you do get is sub standard, and they charge you astronomical fees, and if you try and phone the help line which is normally based in India with students studying English answering. so why oh why dont we boycott these services, probably because we need them even if they are poor. it will soon get to be that no one will use land lines and we will all use mobiles and email.